Thursday, June 14, 2012

How to get a facial


...or what to expect if you have never had one.

I know this might seem like common sense, you book an appointment, you show up, you lay there for about an hour, you pay & then you go home.

Well if you are new to facials, let’s say you have never had one…then this one is going out for all the skin care noobies!

Book Appointment-
  • Do not book a facial an hour before meeting your soon to be in-laws for the first time! Especially if you have never had one before. Please no red carpet events or photo ops for at least 24 hours after the facial.
  • Check out the list of available facials, and pick one that most closely addresses your skin care concern. Book it! On my online booking tool you can write me a little note, like, ‘first time’, ‘need help with break-outs’, or ‘Liz last time I ran into you, you had toilet paper stuck to you shoe, sorry I could not tell you then, but I was afraid you would ask me to help you get it off!’
Show up on time-
  • Actually a little early. Facials are a timed service, all my facials run for an hour. If you book a facial for noon and you walk in the door at noon, then I greet you, maybe you need water or the bathroom, then I explain how you are to get into the treatment bed. By the time you are ready for me to actually start the facial you could have lost anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 minutes. So come in and do the bathroom, water, or “just let me finish this call, sorry”, before your start time.
Relax-
  •  Once I get you installed on the treatment table it is all about you! In the first few minutes of the facials, I will ask at least a dozen questions about your skin. We will consult about the best way to proceed. Then I will be very quite, like magic hands in the dark, while I pamper your skin. Unless of course you are nervous or you would prefer more conversation or just want your skin care questions answered for the whole hour I will do that! Remember it’s all about you!
Basic steps-
  • Most facials will include:
    • Cleansing
    • Exfoliation
    •  Steaming (I do a little hand massage while you are under the steam, mmmm, nice)
    • Extraction, if you have clogged pores
    • Massage (type & where depends on skin concerns)
    •  Finishing treatment mask
    • Application of toner, eye cream & moisturizer, (which by the way along with cleansing should be your bare minimum morning and night at home routine).

There are hundreds of variables on how your personalized facial will actually proceed. Even my clients who come in once a month religiously will experience new products or different massage techniques, it all depends on your skin at the time of the facial.



Where all the magic happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment