Monday, June 25, 2012

At Arms Length


When I went into the beauty biz about 9 years ago, I promised myself that I would never prey on people’s beauty insecurities to increase sales. When you come to me for a brow wax, I will never ask if you want to do your lip also (even if I think you might need it)! Shocking right? Now some folks might think it’s my job to point these things out to my clients, to that I say, do you point these things out to your friends? I am sure the answers to that will vary.

I leave it up to my clients to request services they think they need because we are our own harshest critics and I would not want to bring anything to light that the client hasn't all ready noticed. 


Over examination of ourselves is way too common. When I am done waxing someones brows I hand them a mirror to check out the finished product. 9 out of 10 times they take the mirror and hold it like two inches from their face inspecting each hair rather than taking in the brow shape, the whole face, & how the two should go together and complement each other. It is at this point that I tell client to hold the mirror back, at arms length. I say, “this is how most people see you & if they are any closer they already know and love you”! If I feel that the client isn’t buying my philosophy, I move in closer than arms length and start talking to them, that seems to bring the point home, its a little creepy. And even when we do come across that occasional ‘close talker’, we are just trying to get away from them, or we are drunk and having a hard time focusing our eyes anyway! And for the 1 client is 10 that takes in the bigger picture, you are my dream come true!

In all fairness I too have those days when I wonder why people pick me do their beauty treatments; admittedly I stand inches from the bathroom mirror until my back starts hurting, pulling at my skin which is perpetually caught between acne and aging. (I’m 40, come on already!!!) Then I remember the advice I give to clients, I back up from the mirror and smile! A smile is the best beauty accessory!

That's me, feeling good at about 10 arms length, smiling all the way!

If you enjoyed this or any of my blogs you can tell your friends with the social media buttons below! Go ahead do it they will love you for it, after all sharing is caring! 

No comments:

Post a Comment